Add Folder Size in Windows XP's Explorer
Neat little tip to see size of your folders.
Want to see the size of your folders and not just files in your Windows XP Explorer listings?
Tools --> Options --> View --> Show file size in folder tipsshould let you control the behavior of this tooltip.
Well it's probably a simple feature that the Windows team at Microsoft forgot to include, so Mark Dormer has a solution. Just download his tiny DLL file:
It's an EXE file. All you really have to do is:
- Copy the file to your
- Execute the following command in Start –> Run dialogue box and you're ready to roll:
- Now open Explorer in details view, you wont see the column yet. Right click on a heading in the right pane and select "Folder Size".
Couple of Caveats
- Calculating folder size is a turtle on very large folders with lots of subfolders. There's no indexing built into this.
- As much you and I would like, this tool doesn't do sorting of folders based on the folder size. You may want to give another utility a try, the Folder Shell Extension.
Couple of Tips
- To apply this setting for all the folder, click Tools, Folder Options. In the View tab and click Apply to all folders.
- To remove the feature, simply un–register the DLL later with the following command (ignore error messages if any) – regsvr32 /u %Systemroot%System32Dirsize.dll
Hope this helps.