Firefox 3 has a "feature" that auto-fills a website that you wish to go to as you're typing in the Location bar.
I wanted to turn this off, but without turning off other auto complete functionality:
- I want to retain the autocomplete in forms (which can be managed from
Tools -> Options -> Privacy)
- I also want to retain the autocomplete in the search box on the right (which can be turned off by right-clicking inside the box, and then checking off "
But the Location Bar is a somewhat more involved beast. After hunting in the innards of "
about:config" I discovered that this was possible. Just follow these steps:
- In the location bar, type
about:config. The location bar is of course the place where you type URLs. Note that this is your internal Firefox configuration. Don't mess with it.
- In the text box that appears at the top of this page, enter
browser.urlbar.maxRichResultsas the preference name. (Tip: copy it from here and paste it into that box.)
- Set the value to 0 if you wish to disable the auto-complete altogether. I have it set to 2 so I get some suggestions but it doesn't crowd up the experience.